Well, it’s not a disaster, but it’s not right, either. I’m counting this as a learning experience.
I finished his sweater on the evening of Christmas. I had him try it on at different points during the seaming process, so I knew what the result was going to be. But since the seaming was quick and easy, I went ahead with it so I’d know what I needed to do to fix it.
Now, before I show you the (hilarious) photo, let me tell you that this is NOT a gauge issue. My gauge was spot on. It’s also not a pattern or yarn issue. The pattern pieces measure approximately what they’re supposed to.
This was a measuring issue.
One of the ways to measure for a sweater is to use a sweater the recipient already wears and loves. The trouble here is that I didn’t have an actual sweater to measure. I measured a shirt that was meant to fit looser. This sweater, however, will grow a bit with wear, and it just ended up way too big.
I will say that the patten didn’t mention anything about the amount of ease. That would have been helpful in determining the size I needed to make.
The pattern is written for four sizes. I measured him to be between a medium and large, so I made the large. As it turns out, I needed to make the small.
I should mention, also, that the shirt I used to measure is several years old and he’s lost a bunch of weight since then.
When I measured his actual body, he was a full 8 inches smaller around his chest than the pattern size I made. Oops.
If it was just the sleeve length, I could have dealt with that easily. I would have undone the cuffs and unraveled the sleeve and then reknit the cuffs. But this is just a whole mess.
The only thing for it is to reknit the whole thing.
At least I know for sure I have enough yarn.