Anni Sweater Progress and Knitalong Afghan

So, thanks to planning a birthday party for my Jellybean and being sick with the stomach virus, I didn’t knit for about two weeks. It took me several days to catch up with the housework that had been neglected. The first chance I felt like I was caught up, though, I took some time to work on my sweater. It’s going much faster than I expected it to! I keep putting it on waste yarn and trying it on, to make sure it’s all working out.

Bathroom Selfie!

Seriously, that was the best photo of the sweater. Sorry for the toilet shot, haha!

It’s a couple of inches longer than it shows here, because it’s all rolled up. Stockinette does that. I will knit a few more inches before I start the smocking pattern at the bottom of the sweater. When I get the body done, I will come back and knit the sleeves, which are currently held on waste yarn.

The pattern for Anni is the best organized pattern I have ever seen. It’s broken down into steps and each step has a chart listing the stitch counts for each size. Typically, when knitting patterns are written for several different sizes, they will list the stitch counts in parentheses. For example, if a pattern is written to have small, medium and large sizes, it may say to cast on like this:

Cast on 10 (20, 30) stitches for small (medium, large) sizes.

But the designer for Anni, Christina Körber-Reith, writes it like this:

Cast on the following number of stitches

 small  medium  large
10 20 30

The table is SO MUCH easier to read and it makes the pattern more fun to work with. This is the first pattern of hers I’ve ever knitted, but having a look at her designs, it probably won’t be my last. I’m particularly fond of the Jella Hat and the Five Colors Hat. I’m guessing those patterns will be as easy to follow as Anni.

Now, as far as the afghan blocks go. I think I may be out. I really loved the first block but the next three leave a lot to be desired. Block 2 was a squirrel. Block three is… I have no idea what this is even supposed to be.


And surprisingly Block 4 is out already, too.


Suffice it to say, I am not a fan of either of those blocks. I think block 3 is supposed to be a plant or something, but it just looks phallic to me. Also, the textured piece is an actual pocket and the vine/leaf combo is intended to be left loose. No, thanks.

And I know that block 4 is supposed to be two hearts, but I just see a particular piece of anatomy. *sigh* I didn’t even download this pattern.

But wait! Before I published this post, block 5 was released.

Plain, but nice!

Block 5 is much better than the last four. I follow Susan B. Anderson’s blog, and when I saw this block was designed by her, I knew it would be better. This block is simple, but the texture looks very cozy. Susan’s designs are all classic and cozy. So, I’ll dig out some yarn and knit up this one. This afghan, so far, gets a 40% approval rating from me. Ha! We’ll see how the rest of it goes.

That’s all for this week, my friends!


Filed under Knitting

6 Responses to Anni Sweater Progress and Knitalong Afghan

  1. Carole

    I was out when I saw the squirrel. Not pretty squares at all.

  2. I am loving this sweater and the color suits you so well. I have to agree, those squares leave a lot to get desired.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.